Re: Standardizing animationStartTime (was RE: [minutes] 2012-10-10 Web Performance WG Teleconference #84)

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com> wrote:

>  Considering Firefox has supported a prefixed
> windows.mozAnimationStartTime since Firefox 4, I would like to hear
> Robert's take on whether we should standardize this attribute as well.

I think we should! We generally try to avoid exposing features that we
don't think should ever be standardized.

There is the issue that scripted animations can't stay in sync with
animations offloaded to a compositor thread, even if we provide this
attribute. I think that's OK. As long as there are animations that aren't
offloaded to a compositor thread, which is very likely to remain true
indefinitely for the current generation of browser engines, this attribute
is useful.

Rob
--
Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the
Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority