Re: Cross-Origin Restrictions

Yes.  It's only the component times that are hidden (DNS, socket, etc).
The overall start and end times are available for everything.

Thanks,

-Pat

On 10/7/2011 1:56 PM, Ricardo Oliveira wrote:
> Does the current spec allow the inspection of the start and end time for 3rd party components by default?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 7, 2011, at 6:42 AM, Patrick Meenan<pmeenan@webpagetest.org>  wrote:
>
>> Strange as it may seem, I actually believe the current Timing-Allow-Origin policy strikes the right balance between privacy concerns and giving site owners the information they need.  Erring on the side of the users for something this unknown is a lot safer than having to patch all of the browsers after release.
>>
>> You can still build a full waterfall and you will have the start/end times for all 3rd-party resources so you can still identify which resources are causing issues.  If it's a DNS, networking or server problem your resolution would still be the same - contact the 3rd party or remove the widget.  Having more visibility doesn't help YOU as the site owner.  If the 3rd-party would benefit from having the additional detail then they could (and should) add the headers to allow cross-origin visibility.
>>
>> I'd strongly encourage any providers that serve embeddable widgets to add the headers (ad providers, social buttons, analytics providers, etc) but that seems quite reasonable (and even if they don't there is no huge loss for the actual site owner).
>>
>> I honestly can't think of a use case where I would NEED the detailed timing information of 3rd party resources to take action as a site owner.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Pat
>>
>> On 10/6/2011 7:07 PM, Ricardo Oliveira wrote:
>>> Im w/ Patrick here:
>>>
>>> 1) inferring if an object is in cache or not can already be done by looking at the download times of the object and the RTT
>>> 2) if the default is to not send the times, 3rd party providers will not change their stacks to start sending "timing-allow-origin", so we will only see timings of local objects; given the current trend of increase of 3rd party content (cdns, cloud providers, apis), local objects will be a diminishing case.