Re: [PageVisibility] What should the visibility api return in display:none iframes?

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 02:28:18 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>>
>> That means that if a page wants to only do certain actions when
>> displayed, it has to first check it's .hidden state, then walk up the
>> element.ownerDocument.defaultView.frameElement chain and at each
>> element use CSSOM to check if the iframe is hidden (which off the top
>> of my head I don't remember the API for).
>>
>> This seems severely more complex than simply checking .hidden. Does
>> anyone know of any webpages that we can check to see if they do this?
>>
>> What is the benefit of this approach?
>
> Are you also going to check for it being positioned off-screen,

See my response regarding "below the fold" earlier in this thread.

> visibility:hidden,

This is a good question indeed. What would be the best for web pages?

There is one argument that visibility:hidden iframes aren't truly
hidden. They still take up space. And if the iframe is seamless that
means that it actually affects the layout of the parent page.

> et cetera? It seems somewhat weird to have a display:none
> special case in this API.

You didn't answer my question of what would the benefit be of *not*
taking display:none into account? Specifically, what would the benefit
be to web developers?

/ Jonas