Re: [Page Visibility] Spec -- privacy concern

> Limiting it to same domain would render the API ineffective. One of the
> goals was for Analytics software to track time spent on a page with higher
> fidelity, which would not get served. Another goal was for advertisers to
> know whether their ad was ever shown (or to not play an ads video when the
> window is not visible). These are both third party content examples.

I haven't ready any such use-cases up to this point -- only ones relating to
performance. If I have missed that, please direct me to which document
states such things, as I definitely have some feedback to provide.

This is a web performance working group. I am generally only interested in
making decisions from a performance perspective, not a "I can think of
something a third-party might like to have" perspective. That's a wide open
pandora's box, and if we're discussing those things, I've got a whole bunch
of stuff I could add onto these proposals as "supporting arguments", or to
borrow from government, "earmarks" or "pork barrels". But that's certainly
counter to the spirit of this group, no? Surely those types of discussions
belong in the greater WHATWG or W3C groups, or web-apps WG, etc.

It's one thing for such a use-case to be raised as (at best) a secondary
concern (useful only for informational purposes and not principled decision
making), but if it gets to the point where such arguments sway a decision
more so than the performance perspective, then I vote "NO" to such proposals
unequivocally, as I think they have no place in this group (at least as I
understand its charter). Moreover, security/privacy concerns usually have
the privilege of trumping performance (and thus also secondary/third-party
feature request) concerns.

With all due respect, I reject the premise that same-domain limiting is an
invalid solution to the concerns being raised, simply because such a set of
(again, at best) secondary concerns might be crippled. Those who are
advocating on such premises should take their discussion to a group bigger
in scope than a web performance WG.

--Kyle