Re: [RequestAnimationFrame] Integer identifiers: let's not make the same mistake again.

From: James Robinson <jamesr@google.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:44:20 -0700
To: David Bruant <david.bruant@labri.fr>
Cc: public-web-perf@w3.org, "Mark S. Miller" <erights@google.com>
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 6:17 AM, David Bruant <david.bruant@labri.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> setTimeout, setInterval both return an integer as an identifier. In my
> opinion, this is a mistake.
> If a milicous script comes up, and loops over an integer range, it can
> cancel intervals and timeouts without having been granted the right to
> do so. This is a security issue.

Hi David,

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean here - script can only
cancel timers that it set.  Could you expand a bit on what you mean by
"granted the right to do so"?

The reason for using integer identifiers is to remain close to
setTimeout/setInteval, but I think an opaque identifier would work equally
well.  I'm not sure what benefit it would give, however.

- James