Re: Page Visibility Simplifications

From: Bret Gorsline <bret.gorsline@cbsinteractive.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:07:08 -0400
To: public-web-perf@w3.org
An ad perspective: we'd like to be able to avoid tracking until the
user sees an ad in full size. Ad systems should be able to avoid
tracking when the page is hidden or much smaller than full size. If
this is what the 'preview' status is for, then I'd like to see it
kept.

The 'pre-render' status seems less clearly useful. Maybe some
application in analyzing (and controlling) CDN cost against revenue,
but it does seem counter to why a browser might want to pre-render in
the first place. From a tracking perspective, I think 'hidden' covers
this case well enough.

Bret