Re: Further concerns with PageVisibility

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:11, Kyle Simpson <getify@gmail.com> wrote:
> Based on that, it should be pointed out (spelled out explicity in Chrome's
> blog post, btw) that my page could be forced into working not in the way I
> intended (that is, rendering before being visible) if any other author on
> the web lists my URL in their <link rel=prerender> tag, and then presents a
> link with that URL which a user follows. That user could end up on my page
> "too late", in that they miss out on important earlier rendering.

Such "rendering before being visible" already happens today. Users can
and do often open links in background tabs (for example through a
middle-mouse-button click). By the time they get around to focusing
the tab, many animations could have rendered, page state could have
changed, etc. If webpage authors are fine with it today, I don't see
how prerendering makes things worse.

More to the point, the Page Visibility API will help authors identify
both of these scenarios (background tabs and prerendering) and react
if desired. That capability seems to be strictly better than the
status quo.