Re: CSS animation perf statistics

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 23:05:30 +0200, Andrew Dupont <w3@andrewdupont.net>
wrote:

> Mine was one of the aforementioned TXJS talks, so Kyle asked me to weigh
> in.
>
> Let's imagine that there exists a set of animations that are only worth
> doing if you can be _somewhat_ sure they'll render at a certain frame
> rate. On mobile devices, most animations fall into this category. If I'm
> writing a web app that will only be consumed in MobileSafari, I know I
> can transition/animate "opacity" and "transform" and know they'll
> animate smoothly.  But if my app will also be consumed by Android
> devices, I'm stuck; a few such devices support hardware acceleration,
> but most don't. On devices that lack support, I'd rather skip the
> animation altogether, because an animation running at 4 fps is worse
> than no animation at all.

Opera experimented with some related technology some time ago, see
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/presto-2-2-and-opera-10-a-first-look/#fps.
Those demos still work in Opera 11.

That gave the developer currentFPS and targetFPS properties to play with.
A similar setup could be included in e.g. CSS, imagine the following:

@media (min-fps:30) {
 body { transition-property: opacity; transition-duration: 2s; }
}

Of course, a currentFPS property could additionally be added to the
RequestAnimationFrame specification.

--
Sigbjørn Vik
Quality Assurance