Re: Sharing spec text between setImmediate and setTimeout

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 20:35:34 -0400
To: Jason Weber <jweber@microsoft.com>
CC: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mozilla.com>, "public-web-perf@w3.org" <public-web-perf@w3.org>
On 7/1/11 6:28 PM, Jason Weber wrote:
> We thought it was important for setImmediate to be semantically identical to setTimeout and started from that spec.

For what it's worth, it's not clear whether it's a good idea to be thus
identical.  In particular, the string version of setTimeout seems to be
to have been a design mistake that we should not repeat....  I
understand why it might make sense to make setImmediate as much like
setTimeout as possible, of course.  I'm just not sure whether that's
enough reason to proliferate the eval semantics of setTimeout.