W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-web-perf@w3.org > February 2011

[minutes] 20110216 Web Performance WG

From: Anderson Quach <aquach@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:43:22 +0000
To: public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>
Message-ID: <1E1FF4102DEA7A40AF9CC342044ECE5D43314EA0@TK5EX14MBXW604.wingroup.windeploy.ntdev.microsoft.com>
Web Performance Working Group
16 Feb 2011

See also: IRC log<http://www.w3.org/2011/02/16-webperf-irc>

Minutes
http://www.w3.org/2011/02/16-webperf-minutes.html
Attendees
Present
+1.650.253.aaaa, [Microsoft], +1.650.214.aabb, +1.415.829.aacc, ArvindJain, JasonWeber, NicJansma, Zhiheng, TonyG, AndersonQuach, JamesSimonsen
Regrets
Chair
JasonWeber
Scribe
AndersonQuach
Contents

  *   Topics<http://www.w3.org/2011/02/16-webperf-minutes.html#agenda>
1.        Discuss feedback on the latest Navigation Timing" taken up<http://www.w3.org/2011/02/16-webperf-minutes.html#item01>
2.        Web Perf SIG/Charter: Visibility API<http://www.w3.org/2011/02/16-webperf-minutes.html#item02>
3.        Summary<http://www.w3.org/2011/02/16-webperf-minutes.html#item03>

         i.            Clarification on what to do with the unload timestamps when a non-same origin redirection is encountered. Nic will send out notes on the behavior from IE.

        ii.            The WG will review the proposed tests for Navigation Timing.

      iii.            On 2/15/2011 we'll expand the meeting to include a 1hr discussion on re-chartering to include APIs to help web-apps conserve battery and promote efficient painting. Followed by 10-11 to continue discussions on Navigation Timing and moving towards CR.

      iv.            On 2/15/2011 10-11A PST we'll continue discussions on User Timing and Resource Timing.



________________________________

move to agenda 6

<scribe> scribe: AndersonQuach
Discuss feedback on the latest Navigation Timing" taken up

Zhiheng: There's ambiguity in the spec with the current definition of same-origin wrt to navigationStart and fetchStart.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2010Oct/0068.html

Zhiheng: Want clarification on what to do with unload when the previous navigation is of a different from the current navigation.

TonyG: Are you making this more strict or less strict?

<zhihengw> page A ---> Page B ---> Page A

JamesSimonsen: The definition in 4.2 is clearer in terms of the normative behavior of unload.

NicJansma: Our concerns is exposing the unload events were correlated with the timestamp with the middle redirection in user-agents. I don't know if that's the case we can test this out with a network analyzer and in browsers like IE.
... Need to understand if unload events can be correlated to any time stamp that is zeroed out like redirects.
... We'll get back to the mailing list as to the behavior of unload later today.

move to agenda 8
Web Perf SIG/Charter: Visibility API

ArvindJain: I want to get a sense for the Visibility API for the Web Performance Working Group.

JasonWeber: We're supportive of adding this API to the Web Perf charter to standardize this.
... From our reserach, this is a larger problem and domain beyond Web Perf.
... We're seeing this related to CPU consumption of foreground and background tabs, as it relates to painting, animation and thread/application activity to conserve power.

ArvindJain: Sounds like a great idea.

JasonWeber: We should discuss what we want to include in that charter expansion and start the re-chartering.

ArvindJain: Makes sense, let's do that.
... We'll let folks to respond on the mailing thread and go from there.
... Can you invite other user-agents to discuss this area?

JasonWeber: I'll reach out.
... Do you want to schedule separate time to discuss the re-charter?

ArvindJain: I'm okay with extending the call from 9-10 for Nav Timing and 10-11 for the re-chartering.

JasonWeber: Let's do it the other way around, 9-10 for the re-chartering and 10-11 for Nav Timing.

TonyG: Do we want to cover efficient JavaScript animations like mozRequestAnimationFrame?

JasonWeber: Sounds good.

ArvindJain: Sounds good.

AndersonQuach: I'd love to work towards getting traction on approval of the test cases and go over the feedback on user timing.

NicJansma: We had User Timings prototyped in the Beta and early Platform Previews of IE9. We did see the values of having measures.
Summary

i. Clarification on what to do with the unload timestamps when a non-same origin redirection is encountered.

ii. The WG will review the proposed tests for Navigation Timing.

iii. On 2/15/2011 we'll expand the meeting to include a 1hr discussion on re-chartering to include APIs to help web-apps conserve battery and promote efficient painting. Followed by 10-11 to continue discussions on Navigation Timing and moving towards CR.

vi. On 2/15/2011 10-11A PST we'll continue discussions on User Timing and Resource Timing.
Received on Wednesday, 16 February 2011 20:44:53 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 16 February 2011 20:44:54 GMT