W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-web-perf@w3.org > August 2011

[minutes] 20110831 Web Performance WG Teleconference #48

From: Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:52:30 +0000
To: "public-web-perf@w3.org" <public-web-perf@w3.org>
Message-ID: <EE4C13A1D11CFA49A58343DE361B0B040691B782@TK5EX14MBXC252.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
Meeting Summary:



1.      Discussed feedback on Timing Specifications.

a.       Update all Timing specifications to use the new Timebase

Considering the positive feedback, the working group has decided to update the Timing specifications to use the new timebase. ACTION-46 created.



b.       INITIATOR_AUDIO and INITIATOR_VIDEO to be removed

The audio and video initiator types are somewhat more complicated than the other initator types, mainly because these two elements may stream parts or the entire resource, may download the entire or part of the resource, etc. To reduce complexity we will remove INITIATOR_AUDIO and simplify the INITIATOR_VIDEO definition to only the poster image of the video element. ACTION-47 created.



c.        INITIATOR_SVG should include all resources under the element tree

The definition of SVG initiator type needs to include all resources that are included under the SVG element in the tree. ACTION-48 created.



d.       fetchStart definition needs to be stop referencing the HTML5 fetch definition.

The HTML5 fetch definition includes redirects, however, the timing specifications define a separate redirect. Resource Timing needs to be updated to pull the HTML5 reference from the fetchStart definition. The processing model and diagram are correct. ACTION-49 created.



e.       Ensure areas referenced spec areas are stable.

Philippe is working on a proposal that if a spec has a dependency on another spec that isn't at recommended state, but the referenced portion is stable, the spec can still move forward. The working group will be begin looking through our Timing specs and ensure all referenced areas are stable.



2.      Performance Timeline and User Timing specification to be published as Last Call tomorrow

Philippe will be publishing Performance Timeline and User Timing specifications as Last Call tomorrow. The Last Call period will last until September 21st.



Action Items:
Jatinder Mann: ACTION-46 - Update the Timing specs to include the new timebase
Jatinder Mann: ACTION-47 - Update the Resource Timing spec to remove INITIATOR_AUDIO and INITIATOR_VIDEO.
Jatinder Mann: ACTION-48 - Update the Resource Timing spec to update INITIATOR_SVG definition to include resources loaded under the SVG element in the tree.
Jatinder Mann: ACTION-49 - Update the fetchStart definition to not include the HTML5 definition to fetchStart.



Detailed Notes:



Web Perf Teleconference #48 8/31/2011



IRC log: http://www.w3.org/2011/08/31-webperf-irc


Meeting Minutes: http://www.w3.org/2011/08/31-webperf-minutes.html



Attendees

Present for Navigation Timing, Resource Timing and User Timing (4-5PM EST/1-2PM PST)
Tony Gentilcore, James Simenson, Jatinder Mann, Nic Jansma, Arvind Jain, Zhiheng Wang, Karen Anderson, Philippe Le Hegaret


Present for Page Visibility, Efficient Script Yielding, Display Paint Notifications (4-5PM EST/2-3PM PST)
Meeting cancelled.



Scribe

Jatinder Mann



Contents

Agenda

1.       Discuss Timing specification feedback.

2.       Any other business.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Discuss microsecond timestamp resolution.

Philippe: User Timing and Performance Timeline will be published as Last Call tomorrow. It will be in last call until September 21st.

Jatinder: I will take an action to update the Timing specs to include the new timebase.

ACTION Jatinder update the Timing specs to include the new timebase on Jatinder

<trackbot> Created ACTION-46 - Update the Timing specs to include the new timebase on Jatinder [on Jatinder Mann - due 2011-09-07].

JamesS: It wasn't obvious to me how to implement the resource timing for INITIATOR_AUDIO and _VIDEO, particularly because these both are streamed commonly. Seems rather complicated, should we consider punting?

Nic: I agree with you there. Maybe we should not include them at all.

Nic: We should consider keeping the video poster, but not the rest.

ACTION Jatinder update the Resource Timing spec to remove INITIATOR_AUDIO and INITIATOR_VIDEO.

<trackbot> Created ACTION-47 - Update the Resource Timing spec to remove INITIATOR_AUDIO and INITIATOR_VIDEO. [on Jatinder Mann - due 2011-09-07].

ACTION Jatinder update the Resource Timing spec to update INITIATOR_SVG definition to include resources loaded under the SVG element in the tree.

<trackbot> Created ACTION-48 - Update the Resource Timing spec to update INITIATOR_SVG definition to include resources loaded under the SVG element in the tree. [on Jatinder Mann - due 2011-09-07].

ACTION Jatinder update the fetchStart definition to not include the HTML5 definition to fetchStart.

<trackbot> Created ACTION-49 - Update the fetchStart definition to not include the HTML5 definition to fetchStart. [on Jatinder Mann - due 2011-09-07].

<plh> http://w3c-test.org/framework/results/nav-timing-default/

Plh: There was a Navigation Timing test that failed on IE. Can you look into it?

Nic: This was fixed in the IE10 Platform Preview 2.

Plh: We are trying to push a proposal that says if a spec has a dependency on another spec that isn't at recommended state, but the referenced portion is stable, you can move forward with your spec.
... We should look through our specs and ensure all referenced areas are stable.
Received on Wednesday, 31 August 2011 20:53:10 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 31 August 2011 20:53:11 GMT