From: Tony Gentilcore [mailto:tonyg@google.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:51 AM
To: Zhiheng Wang
Cc: Nic Jansma; public-web-perf@w3.org
Subject: Re: [agenda] Web Performance WG Teleconference #28 Agenda 2011-04-13

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Zhiheng Wang <zhihengw@google.com> wrote:
> * If there is no previous document, navigationStart must return the same value as fetchStart. unloadEventStart/End must return 0.

As promised on last week's call, I submitted a test for this. Please review:
http://w3c-test.org/webperf/tests/submission/Google/NavigationTiming/test_no_previous_document.htm

It only checks that unload times are 0, not that navigationStart == fetchStart. I'd like to raise a issue/question about that.

In section 4.2, the spec says "If there is no previous document, this attribute must return the same value as fetchStart." However, the more descriptive processing model (section 5.1) describes them being recorded as two distinct times. That sentence might typically be true when there are no 3xx redirects, but certainly isn't true for redirects. Even in the non-redirect case, if two distinct times are recorded back-to-back, there is a non-zero chance that the second one will be later than the first. I propose we stick with the processing model and drop that sentence from 4.2.

-Tony