Re: [agenda] Web Performance WG Teleconference #26 Agenda 2011-03-29

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Nic Jansma <Nic.Jansma@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Olli,
>
> Thanks for all of your input so far.
>
> For this test:
>        https://w3c-test.org/webperf/tests/approved/test_navigation_type_backforward.htm
>
> You mention that:
>> And related to that
>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/file/fb6cbccbb0cc/tests/approved/test_navigation_type_backforward.htm
>> is still invalid in some cases.
>> It does not allow bfcached documents.
>
> Does this mean that Mozilla, when doing navigation_frame.history.back(), causes a bfcache navigation?  Is there a way to force a "full" back-forward navigation?

It can, if the page is still cached in the bfcache. Though as with any
cache it is subject to heuristics and other limits so it's not
something you can count on.

There is no way to force a "full" load from the navigation itself.
However there are ways of ensuring that a page doesn't end up in the
bfcache. One simple such way is to register a "unload" event handler.
You don't need to actually do anything in the event handler, just the
mere fact that it is there will prevent the page from being bfcached.
I believe other browsers with a bfcache behaves the same way.

So something like the following should work:

  <head>...</head>

/ Jonas