Deflate is Superior to Gzip (edited post)

From: David Murdoch <david@vervestudios.co>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:30:23 -0400
To: public-web-perf@w3.org
Sorry for the double post, the hyperlink in the first post was
pointing to the dev version on my machine. The hyperlink has been
corrected and now points to the production version of the test.
---
Some very influential sources have been promoting the gzip compression
format as the end-all and be-all to our HTTP 1.1 compression needs;
some tout gzip as the superior compression format ("Gzip is the most
[...] effective compression method..." [source: Best Practices for
Speeding Up Your Website]). This, however, is not necessarily true.
There are 2 other compression formats commonly available for use on
the web.

Research is currently being conducted at
http://www.vervestudios.co/projects/compression-tests/results.

Feedback and comments are encouraged.