W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-web-perf@w3.org > November 2010

[minutes] 20101124 Web Performance Working Group

From: Anderson Quach <aquach@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:38:07 +0000
To: "public-web-perf@w3.org" <public-web-perf@w3.org>
Message-ID: <1E1FF4102DEA7A40AF9CC342044ECE5D2E2FEFE6@TK5EX14MBXW603.wingroup.windeploy.ntdev.microsoft.com>
Web Performance Working Group
24 Nov 2010

See also: IRC log<http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-irc>


Minutes
http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html

Attendees
Present
Plh, +1.650.214.aaaa, +1.415.568.aabb, James, Christian, +1.650.691.aacc, Zhiheng, +1.425.605.aadd, Andreson, Anderson, Nik, +200000aaee, Simon, NicJansma, plh, JamesSimonsen
Regrets
Arvind, JasonWeber, TonyG
Chair
Anderson
Scribe
AndersonQuach

Contents

  *   Topics<http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html#agenda>
     *   Follow-up on conformance testing practices.<http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html#item01>
     *   Feedback on navigation timing.<http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html#item02>
     *   introducing a new set of drafts<http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html#item03>
     *   Follow-up on the window.performance namespace.<http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html#item04>
     *   Summary<http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html#item05>

A.       Let's prepare a test case to review for the next Web performance meeting.

B.       Get a working draft published by 11/30. Feedback to be provided by EOD 11/29.

C.       Anderson to research the probability of namespace collisions for the suggested alternatives.

D.       James Simonsen to post feedback on resource timing proposals.

E.        [Decision] moving forward with the conservative approach of FQDN for the definition of 'Same Origin' as specified in the HTML5 spec. Need to get feedback from other user agents.


  *   Summary of Action Items<http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

________________________________

set logs world-visible

rrsagent set logs world-visible

<scribe> scribe: AndersonQuach

list the agenda

move to agenda 3

Follow-up on conformance testing practices.

Zhiheng: Following a model similar to HTML5 is using
... Get the repository set up.
... Sent mail about best practices, two stage process: Submission, Approval.

AndersonQuach

AndersonQuach: Can http headers be changed?

plh: yes, servers are being updated to handle these requirements. Migration to finish in a couple of weeks.
... Look into XMLHttpRequest test suites for best practices. Not yet in place. Name of the server in a couple weeks. XHR tests are on Opera servers. I can try to find a link.

AndersonQuach: Test existing of attributes, relative ordering of tests, cross-domain tests.

plh: Make sure tests are automated.

AndersonQuach: may not be possible across all agents for navigation type.

Zhiheng: Can we use automation UI software to drive browser input.

plh: Probably not, that would require software on the desktop.

Zhiheng: Cross-domain question, what are the new domains for the test servers?

plh: Let me check that.

<plh> w3c-test.org

<plh> test1.w3c-test.org

<plh> test2.w3c-test.org

Zhiheng: we need two different top-level domain.

<plh> ACTION: plh to investigate having two top-level domains [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-5 - Investigate having two top-level domains [on Philippe Le Hégaret - due 2010-12-01].

plh: Next step, someone write one test and review it.

AndersonQuach: We can look into following up with this.

Zhiheng: TonyG has some tests he would like to submit.
... next meeting let's review and go through the approval process for new test cases.

plh: one more question about two top-level domain.

AndersonQuach: for testing of privacy requirements, within server side redirect chains.

plh: we can set this up when the test server comes online.

<plh> close action-5

<trackbot> ACTION-5 Investigate having two top-level domains closed

JamesSimonsen: Tony and I are adverse to using public suffix +1

move to agenda 2

Feedback on navigation timing.

JamesSimonsen: Sub-domains may be hosted on different servers.

<plh> --> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JulSep/0602.html XmlHttpRequest Test Suite

JamesSimonsen: Same problem with app hosting sites as with Top Level domain.

<plh> s/topic\+ Feedback/Topic: Feedback/

NicJansma: With the poll being 50 / 50 what's the decision we want to lock down towards.

Zhiheng, JamesSimonsen: FQDN would be the most conservative.

Zhiheng: Although I want to increase the usefulness.

list the agenda

AndersonQuach: let's move towards the default decision of being conservative, pending input from other user agents to lock down on the spec.

introducing a new set of drafts

Anderson: Quach Let's aim to get feedback submitted by 11/29 to push a working draft by 11/30.

Zhiheng: I want to submit a new working draft by the end of the month.

move to agenda 1

Follow-up on the window.performance namespace.

AndersonQuach: Let's reserach the proposed names and probability of it being hit on web content.

<zcorpan> another thing a college wanted to get across regarding testing is a wish to use the same harness as the HTMLWG and WebApps:

<zcorpan> http://test.w3.org/resources/testharness.js

<zhiheng> yes, that makes sense.

<zhiheng> I think that's what HTML WG using as well.

<plh> yes it is

Christian: Sounds like a safe approach to use the FQDN, however less useful for web developres.

Summary

1. Let's prepare a test case to review for the next Web performance meeting.

2. Get a working draft published by 11/30. Feedback to be provided by EOD 11/29.

3. Anderson to research the probability of namespace collisions for the suggested alternatives.

4. JamesSimonsen to post feedback on resource timing proposals.

[Decision] moving foward with the conservative approach of FQDN for the definition of 'Same Origin' as specified in the HTML5 spec. Need to get feedback from other user agents.

Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: plh to investigate having two top-level domains [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/11/24-webperf-minutes.html#action01]
Received on Wednesday, 24 November 2010 21:39:58 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 21 December 2010 18:13:56 GMT