Re: [Web Timing] Proposed Resource Timing

From: Jason Sobel <jsobel@facebook.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 05:59:47 +0000
To: Anderson Quach <aquach@microsoft.com>
CC: public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>
Hi Anderson-
Thanks for getting the conversation started, I'm excited about resource timing! I do believe this is a serious issue, however:
the full-timeline is only available for resources that have the same origin as the root document. A much more limited timeline is available to cross-domain resources, fetchStart to ~loadEventStart, loadEventEnd.
I was happy to see you mention CORS at the end because I feel it is critical to allow a way for detailed cross domain profiling if trust can be established. Many sites use different domains for some resources to avoid sending cookies (at Facebook we use fbcdn.net<http://fbcdn.net> for JS, CSS, and some images) and losing detailed information would make resource timing significantly less useful.

I completely agree that your proposal is the right default behavior but I feel very strongly that the first version must have a way to pass trust across domains.

What do you all think?
Thanks!

--jason