Re: About window.performance namespace

From: Paul Irish <paul.irish@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 20:41:23 -0800
To: Zhiheng Wang <zhihengw@google.com>
Cc: public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Sigbjørn Vik <sigbjorn@opera.com>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Zhiheng Wang <zhihengw@google.com> wrote:

>      * window.performance will be replaceable
>      * window.performance.timing and window.performance.navigation will be
> kept read-only.

As a web developer, this approach seems very unnecessary to me. Are there
other properties that retain this sort of special handling? Wherein they are
meant as readonly but are mutable for compatibility reasons?

I fear this attempt to prevent confusion will actually create more.

This information within `performance` is very much tied to the user agent;
augmenting the navigator object with it seems very natural.