Re: [NavigationTiming] Move window.performance to navigator.performance

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 00:07:19 +0100, Anderson Quach <aquach@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> In the meeting on 12/1/2010
> [minutes<http://www.w3.org/2010/12/01-webperf-minutes.html>], as a
> working group we decided to go with window.performance as the official
> namespace for the Web Performance Working Group. We reviewed the risks
> of this name and its alignment to the working group's charter.
>
> The decision was based on a number of different factors:
>
> i.                     The namespace performance is much more suitable
> given the direction we want to take with this working group in terms of
> helping site operators and site developers access and understand their
> performance in user agents. Particularly as we move forward with adding
> functionality to this interface. The alternate names we considered were
> pagePerformance and webPerformance.
>
> ii.                   The risks as outlined in Zhiheng's response and in
> our previous study on high traffic sites were found to be low for the
> name "performance".
>
> iii.                  When analyzing the occurrences of pagePerformance,
> the analysis came back inconclusive, no concrete instances of "var
> pagePerformance" or "var webPerformance" were found.

Did you look for occurances of name="performance" and id="performance" in
HTML? Those also end up as properties on the global object. (I included a
link to google code search for name="performance" in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2010Nov/0032.html )

Note that 'var foo' would win over the native window.foo, so it wouldn't
break the scripts of such pages (but it would not be possible to use the
native window.foo since it's overwritten). However, the native window.foo
wins over name="foo" and id="foo", so it's possible to break scripts that
assume that window.foo returns an element or HTMLCollection. Maybe there
aren't high-traffic sites that expect that, but there's a very long tail
of Web pages out there that rely on the silliest things...

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software