Re: New web of things server projects

Hi Vinob,

I urge you to read the draft ;-) Observe is indeed used for notification in CoAP PubSub, but there is more to PubSub that warrants a separate draft.

Observe in CoAP is used to send data asynchronously from the server to a client. With CoAP, the end device is usually assumed to be a server, but the main idea in CoAP PubSub is to move the server role to a pubsub broker and make the end device a client. The end device uses PUT to publish updates to the broker, and GET or Observe to receive updates from the broker.

Application software or peer devices can receive asynchronous updates from the device forwarded by the broker using normal CoAP Observe.

This pattern is useful in that it enables the end device to sleep between updates and also to operate behind a NAT firewall without special configuration. It also should provide a natural binding to other PubSub systems like MQTT.

Please continue this discussion at core@ietf.org

Thanks!

Michael

PS Sorry for the duplicate posts below…