Re: IOTDB: modeling state

> On 2 Jun 2015, at 16:13, David Janes <davidjanes@davidjanes.com> wrote:
>
> One issue you are going to face as you start modelling 'real world' things is there's a lot of 'near duplication' of semantic terms.
>
> For example, in DR's definitions you end up with something like this for Lights (my apologies if this isn't 100% correct)
> on: turn the light on /off - { write: true }
> is_on: is this on or off - { read: true }

For an on/off light switch it is easier to have a single writeable boolean property.   The proxy object can use getter and setter methods so that  assigning true or false result in the switch being turned on and off respectively. If a human activates the switch, then the proxied property will be updated automatically to match.

Of course it is good practice to re-use ontologies/vocabularies where possible as this will simplify the lives of developers.

> Now consider a Denon Audio / Visual Receiver. It has, amongst other things:
> on
> volume
> band
> mute
> So you end up with a parallel set of definitions
> is_on
> actual_volume
> actual_band
> is_muted
Why not stick with the first set of properties and make them writeable?

I am not sure what you mean by the difference between control values and actual values, can you provide an example that clarifies your distinction?

—
   Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org <mailto:dsr@w3.org>>