RE: Bootstrapping the Web of Things Community Group

Just a word of caution: most real world IOT deployments we deal with don’t
even use IP.

Look at weightless, or the innumerable RF 868/463 deployments in existence.
There are hard physics reasons why this is the case.

Within the subset of IOT devices that use IP (TCP or UDP) – CoAP is one of
several alternatives

IMHO a W3C WoT initiative should be inclusive, and implement the
appropriate functional abstractions to help web developers navigate the
multiplicity of implementations already in existence.

I think there is merit in looking at
http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source.html as prior art in this space. It
is:

-       Functional developer level abstraction

-       Lends itself to many physical implementations

-       Is in reality: web friendly access to a “sensor”

-       Encapsulates the security privacy issue – albeit not adequately
addressed at present

Just an opinion

Nick