Re: NFC/App based payment terminal

On 2017-06-22 08:27, Kis, Zoltan wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com <mailto:anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/handy-way-to-pay-little-bills-on-the-cards-h0ffmpkmv <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/handy-way-to-pay-little-bills-on-the-cards-h0ffmpkmv>
>
>     Web NFC will never be able to that.
>

> Yes, I would be concerned if you could do that with Web NFC :). In your view, what is the gain if a web page could do that?

None.

> There are number of apps that allow users to make and receive payments,
> either involving card provisioning or linking to bank account.

The application linked to is rather a Merchant solution.

> There is nothing new in that. So far all of them are apps, need store security
> and payment provisioning. We don't want to give access to that kind of payment > provisioning to a web page. The question is, what is the gain and what it the price.

This is important information for people following this work.

> IMO it's a very narrow use case for the web but creates a large attack surface.

If payments is a "narrow" use case, what constitutes a mainstream use case?

> The Web NFC group rather focuses on more universal use cases that conform > well to the web security model (I have a deja vu feeling when saying this).
> Of course it's only a subset of what native NFC apps could do.

I think we got that.  The problem is converting this into something practical
which I didn't succeed with :-(

>     Anders
>     https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/496 <https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/496>
>

> There are apps for that too, without even using NFC (e.g. Nordea Codes). It's much simpler
> to type in a PIN in an app on any phone with a SIM card than being required to use two
> devices with NFC support and NFC between them. Guess which solution is more universal?

I don't know what you are referring to here.  The "Phone Token" is about using a phone
as a token to a PC/Browser replacing "phishable" and archaic solutions like userid + passwords.
SMS callbacks have recently deprecated by NIST because they are "phishable".

I have not invented this use case; it is currently used by 3 million Swedes including myself.
All Swedish banks and e-government services accept this solution.

The same principle is also usable for payments which means that the "phone" can work in
every situation where you today use a "card" as well as in scenarios that cards do not
support like Web Payments and P2P payments.

This concept has no relationship to SIM-cards, it is just a (very awkward) deployment option.

Anyway, since NFC in PCs is "doomed", this proposal (bad or good) is dead as well :-( :-(

Anders