Re: State of Web NFC?

On 2017-08-24 09:50, Kostiainen, Anssi wrote:
>> On 24 Aug 2017, at 04:28, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Since the interest outside of the W3C for thwarting stupidities like
>> https://www.techinasia.com/china-fintech-blueprint-for-rest-of-the-world
>> seems quite big, I'm thinking about taking a stab at this myself by patching the Web NFC code.
>>
>> What is the state of Web NFC on desktop OSes?  Code is published?
>
> For the implementation status and code, please refer to:
>
> https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/6261030015467520
>
> Currently, the Web NFC API is implemented on Android, but patches are welcome to enable it on other OSes as well.

Unfortunately dealing with OS-dependent NFC APIs and drivers would make this a major task which I'm not interested in (and probably not even capable of doing).

> As you know, the Web NFC API addresses the client part of the point of sales use case referred to in the article you provided.

Well, the picture showed one side of the QR coin, I was rather thinking about the other, much more established, ApplePay use case, where a native App is activated from an NFC object in a POS terminal, or (as the work item above is about), from an NFC object in a Web page running in PC.

This would be an example of "Converged" payments, something the payment industry is very much looking into these days.

Google have already rolled out the W3C Web2PaymentApp solution, what's missing is a useful Web2ExternalDeviceWithPaymentApp scheme. As an "interim" the world has turned to QR including giving it standardization status through EMVCo.

thanx,
Anders