Re: Rationale? Re: General objection regarding Web NFC

On 2015-04-15 11:52, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> On 2015-04-15 19:56, Wayne Carr wrote:
>>

>> On 2015-04-14 20:10, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Just in order to get this discussion in a better shape, would it be
>>> possible
>>> getting a rationale for the fact that your work assumes that the
>>> connecting
>>> client device is based on Web technology?
>>
>> I may not be understanding you.  This is the WorldWide Web
>> Consortium.  It creates Web specs.  If it wasn't using Web
>> technologies, we wouldn't be doing it here.
>
> Since the latter part of use-case 2
> "2. Support communication with active (powered devices such as readers,
>    phones) and passive (smart cards, tags, etc) devices"
> hardly is based on Web technology I find this statement contradictory.

I think this may be a matter of how you are parsing the sentence. It
isn't communication between an active NFC device and a passive NFC
device.  It's communication between a Web page and either kind of device.

> There can be no requirement that connecting mobile devices use
> HTML5/JS-based clients to interact with Web NFC tags activated from
> Web-pages, right?

Of course not.  But, if they're not then they are using some other spec,
not this one.

 From the Charter: "The Community Group will be implemented on top of
NFC implementations provided by the platform. Low level NFC
specification is out of scope. "
Also from the Charter: "The scope of the Web Near Field Communications
Community Group is limited to the development of APIs for Web page scripts"

> I.e. there are de-facto TWO projects in this CG sharing the same
> document-set which leads to security considerations like:
> "Web apps installed from a store, or web pages installed to home screen
>     (with [MANIFEST]) may be considered trusted by the user agent"
> which has no counterparts in Android and iOS.
>
> To me the requesting and connecting side are quite different.

The document you are quoting from says: "This section is non-normative.
Web pages using the NFC API are not trusted. This means that the user
needs to be aware of exactly what a web page is intending to do with NFC
at any given moment. Also, implementations SHOULD make sure that when
the user authorizes an NFC operation, then only that action is run,
without side effects, and exactly in the context and the number of times
the user allows the execution of NFC operations. Web apps installed from
a store, or web pages installed to home screen (with [MANIFEST]) MAY be
considered trusted by the user agent. "

It's pointing out that there is a difference between a random untrusted
web page and a trusted client application.  That seems useful to point
out.  The NFC WG was for trusted applications.  This is a different
group aimed at Web pages.  That is exactly like the Bluetooth API in the
SysApps Working Group and the Bluetooth API in the Web Bluetooth
Community Group.  In both cases, the WG was for trusted, installed
applications and the CG was a completely different effort for the Web
security model.