Re: Rationale? Re: General objection regarding Web NFC

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Anders Rundgren <
anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 2015-04-15 09:05, Kis, Zoltan wrote:
>
> Hi Anders,
>
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 6:10 AM, Anders Rundgren <
> anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-04-14 13:41, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>>
>>> When I read issues like https://github.com/w3c/web-nfc/issues/16
>>> I get the impression that you expect connecting clients to use
>>> Web-technology.
>>>
>>> IMO, this assumption will severely limit the value of Web NFC.
>>> The only "standard" that's really lacking, is a way for untrusted
>>> Web-pages to interact with connecting client devices.
>>>
>>> http://ipt.intel.com/Home/How-it-works/network-security-identity-management/ipt-with-near-field-communications
>>>
>>> How Web-based OSes expose NFC to the outer world should IMO be left to
>>> another forum to cater for including
>>> security considerations.
>>>
>>>  Just in order to get this discussion in a better shape, would it be
>> possible
>> getting a rationale for the fact that your work assumes that the
>> connecting
>> client device is based on Web technology?
>>

>  We are using a web-specific NFC format because major browser makers
> wanted to avoid threats described in
>  https://github.com/w3c/web-nfc/issues/2
>

> Hi Zoltan,
> I think you misunderstood me.
>
> Since Android is not a "WebOS", the issue
> https://github.com/w3c/web-nfc/issues/16
> doesn't apply to Android (or iOS or Windows), making the spec and scope
> hard to understand.

Well, risking another misunderstanding, I'd say don't be disturbed by that.
It is concerning an implementation detail for the web platforms :). We
needed to record that issue as we bumped into the question while doing the
implementation.

Best regards,
Zoltan