From: Natasha Rooney [mailto:nrooney@gsma.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:46 PM
To: W3C Webmob Public <public-web-mobile@w3.org>
Subject: Web and Mobile Interest Group Closure

Hi all!

The Web and Mobile Interest Group has reached the end of it’s charter and as of today the group is closed. I wanted to say on behalf of the chairs (myself and Marcos) and from Dom a huge thank-you to you all for being members of the group and for the work you have done. In this email we will go through some of the great work we did, the goals of the group and some indication of where unfinished work could live if W3C members wish to continue working on it.

The aim of the IG was to make the web on mobile a core element of any web specification and to make sure core network elements were being considered and optimised for the web on mobile. We certainly achieved our first goal; W3C groups always consider mobile use cases when developing specs; and sometimes even "mobile first", which is fantastic. We had some outstanding work with a second key goal, and hopefully we can find a home for this work within another group at W3C.

Our documents:
Standards for web applications on mobile [1]
Wake lock use cases [2]
Network information use cases [3]
Standalone apps on iOS [4]
Use cases for installable web apps [5]
Web API Gap [6]
Taxonomy of Mobile Application Platforms [7]
Gap Analysis between Web and Native on Mobile [8]
Permissions for Web APIs [9]

These documents as well as our wiki [10] and our Github repository [11] will remain available online. The Standards for web applications on mobile [1], Web API Gap [6], and possibly the Use cases for installable web apps [5] documents will remain active.

Within the group we had two task forces. The Networking Task Force [12] and the API Gap Task Force [13]. The work in the Networking Task force will be discontinued until a need arises again to look into it (Natasha will take this work to the Performance WG to see if they are interested in continuing the work). New API Gap Task Force related items may be best placed within the Web Platform IG, authors should enquire at this group or the Web Incubator Community Group with any API Gap related items.

Again I want to say a huge thank-you to everyone who joined the group, attended our calls, wrote documents and dedicated their time to the cause. Many thanks also to the co-chairs Marcos Caceres and Joe Rabin, and also to Dom for being our amazing W3C contact. I hope to continue working with all of you again within the W3C. If you have any other queries related to the group please do let me know.

Many thanks again!

Natasha

[1] http://www.w3.org/Mobile/mobile-web-app-state/

[2] https://w3c-webmob.github.io/wake-lock-use-cases/

[3] http://w3c-webmob.github.io/netinfo-usecases/

[4] https://github.com/w3c-webmob/installable-webapps/blob/gh-pages/ios_standalone/README.md

[5] http://w3c-webmob.github.io/installable-webapps/

[6] https://github.com/w3c-webmob/web-api-gap

[7] http://w3c-webmob.github.io/apps-taxonomy/taxonomy.html

[8] http://w3c-webmob.github.io/gap-analysis/

[9] https://github.com/dontcallmedom/web-permissions-req

[10] https://www.w3.org/wiki/Mobile

[11] https://github.com/w3c-webmob/

[12] https://www.w3.org/wiki/Mobile/Work#Networking_Task_Force

https://github.com/w3c-webmob/networking-tf-charter/blob/master/charter.md

[13] https://www.w3.org/wiki/Mobile/Work#API_Gap_Task_Force

https://github.com/w3c-webmob/api-gap-tf-charter/blob/master/charter.md

Natasha

Natasha Rooney | Technologist, Web and Internet, W3C & IETF | GSMA | nrooney@gsma.com<mailto:nrooney@gsma.com> | +44 (0) 7730 219 765 | @thisNatasha | Skype: nrooney@gsm.org<mailto:nrooney@gsm.org>
Tokyo, Japan

This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email or call +44 207 356 0600 and highlight the error.