Update on permissions

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:48:37 +0200
To: public-web-mobile@w3.org
Cc: dsr@w3.org
Hi,

As you may know, there has been quite a bit of work around permissions
recently.

Two weeks ago, the SysApps Working Group organized a meeting on this
very topic; the minutes of that meeting are available at:
http://www.w3.org/2014/07/permissions/minutes

Among the identified next steps, I've noted:
* work on documenting the existing practices of managing permissions
across Web APIs (on which I've committed to work, hopefully with help
from others)

* a TPAC break out session on the topic

* proposed work (in WebApps? DAP?) on a permissions detection API
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2014JulSep/0389.html

I also gave a presentation last week at the Extensible Web Summit on
this topic, based on the research I had started earlier this year (and
that I completed a bit for that occasion):
https://www.w3.org/2014/Talks/dhm-permissions/
https://github.com/dontcallmedom/web-permissions-req/

This led to a break out session that was minuted at:
http://oksoclap.com/p/ews-berlin-permissionsSession which pointed toward
some further ideas on how to simplify the management of permissions.

Dom