RE: [W3C WebMob] Data Info API

On October 14, 2014 at 1:05:35 AM, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (bs3131@att.com) wrote:
> Hi Natasha,
> * Finally, knowing what type of network connection would ultimately be used for a service
> would be essential to really making this useful. We have tried for a long time to get browser
> vendors to support this info (e.g. simply the type of attached network, or a "WiFi" boolean)
> e.g. through the Network Information API, to no avail. This despite the info being easily
> available from device platforms, and simple to understand in terms of value to developers.

Just to be clear, this is shipping in FirefoxOS and in Chrome Desktop and on Android.

The question of value is still not fully clear (because the use cases that we put into the use cases document pertain mostly to native apps - but you can at least replicate the same functionality on the Web now). In any case, we implemented and shipped it with the hope that it won't turn into a giant foot gun. The utility of this API might increase once we have Service Workers and background sync.

> Further, letting an app choose the type of network connection that should be used for
> a service/XHR/websocket/etc would be the real nirvana, but is even less likely.

With the NetInfo API, you can theoretically do this.

if(navigator.connection.type === "wifi"){ sendRequest()}

> I would suggest that W3C revisit the Network Information API and add the features above,
> before we give additional information to apps through other network APIs, especially
> information that leaves the developer still unsure of the impact in the current context,
> or without options to change the current context programmatically.

I guess we will know in about 1 year or so how people are using this.