Re: Standardizing "cards" as UI component?

On Monday, November 24, 2014, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A couple of weeks ago, Nova Spivack called on TechCrunch for W3C to
> standardize "Cards":
> http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/08/its-time-for-an-open-standard-for-cards/
>
> "Cards are modular, bite-sized content containers designed for easy
> consumption and interaction on small screens"
>
> "Standardized cards will function like a cross between a MIME
> attachment, a page of HTML and JavaScript and applet.

> (Like an iframe?)

> They will be
> portable, interactive, programmatic content experiences. They will work
> across apps, which will open a new era of cross-app interoperability,
> enabling powerful new forms of sharing and productivity."

Like, um, HTML? ;)

> Does that suggestion resonate with people on this list? If a standard is
> indeed needed, can anyone see what kind of standard it would be? (is it
> new markup? new css properties? something else?)

It sounds very confused about how one composes content. We probably just
need to standardize snap points in CSS + Element queries. Cards are, or can
be made from, just block level elements - and a custom element could just
be used to encapsulate the whole thing.

So yeah, we we need some new stuff in CSS but no new marked up.