W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-web-mobile@w3.org > November 2014

Webmob Wednesday Weekly Wupdate

From: Natasha Rooney <nrooney@gsma.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 07:59:30 +0000
To: W3C Webmob Public <public-web-mobile@w3.org>
Message-ID: <D089887D.41F25%nrooney@gsma.com>
Hi all!

This is our update for this week! I know some places in the world it is
already Thursday, but itıs still Wednesday in Hawaii so this still counts!


***** Web Updates *****
Google have produced a blog on "Installable Web Apps with the WebApp
Manifest in Chrome for Android². We have talked about this topic for a
while now, so it would be great to see what people think! Take a look and
let us know:
http://updates.html5rocks.com/2014/11/Support-for-installable-web-apps-with
-webapp-manifest-in-chrome-38-for-Android?utm_source=html5weekly&utm_medium
=email

Mobile Web Weekly is a great site to get an idea of the recent movements
in the mobile web! Itıs my favourite newsletter. See the recent one below
and sign up for the newsletter yourself if youıre interested:
http://mobilewebweekly.co/issues/32

IETF91 is on this week! Take a look at the Internet Societyıs rough guide
is a good way to get an overview of the activity here this week, so take a
look and let us know if you have any updates by adding them to the list!
http://www.internetsociety.org/rough-guide-ietf91

Chrome Developer Summit is next week - I know some of your will be there
and others wonıt, so please see the site for details of the live stream!
https://developer.chrome.com/devsummit/


***** Meetings *****
We had a good meeting this morning! We talked about Geolocation
Permissions, Sharing, Data Info API and AOB. Link to the minutes below:
http://www.w3.org/2014/11/12-webmob-minutes.html

Our next meeting is on Wednesday 17th December! Weıll be talking about
permissions, sharing, and some new topics we discovered at TPAC. If you
have a suggestion for an agenda item, please let us know.

Time: 3pm UTCDial: +1-617-761-6200 or sip:zakim@voip.w3.org then
conference code 932662 ("WEBMOB")
https://www.w3.org/wiki/Mobile/Meetings


***** Projects *****
Here is a quick update of our projects and some projects relevant to the
group.

* Permissions - Mournir and Marcos have been working hard on this issue!
On the call Marcos let us know that Mounir has made some suggestion for a
permissions model, Dan Appelquist let us know about the work Alex Russell
wrote up about this, and we are now discussing this work on the mailing
list.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-mobile/2014Nov/thread.html
* Sharing - Weıre awaiting an update to the Sharing URLs repo. Weıll check
on the person doing this work to see if theyıre doing ok!
* Web API Gap & Mobile Web App Standards - Dom is still doing great work
maintaining these pieces of work which are a great help to the group and
the community! If you want to help him out on this let us know. Repos are
linked [https://github.com/w3c-webmob/mobile-web-app-standards] and
[https://github.com/w3c-webmob/web-api-gap].
* Data Info API - I glad so many members are interested in this work! We
now have two operators that have stated they will help us do some demo
work on this. We will be working on a new document which looks at the
operator side of this alongside the work we are doing on the client side.
This new document will start soon.
* Service Worker - here is a link to the github repo for the cache polyfil
which I mentioned last week - check it out and get hacking!
https://github.com/coonsta/cache-polyfill


***** New Work Coming Up *****
One of webmobıs aims to to help other groups with their work which may
impact mobile. Dom and I can monitor what happens in some groups but not
all. So, in the next few weeks I am going to be asking you guys to let us
know what groups you sit in. This will then help us construct a map of who
sits where, how much coverage we have of W3C, and who can report on which
groups on the possible work which is relevant to us. Look out for an email
on this soon!


***** Chairs *****
Sadly Marcos will be away for 4 months and will not be working as a chair
during this time. Heıll be travelling back to Australia to spend time with
his family though, which sounds like a good idea to me! Dom and I will
continue to look after the group, and weıre going to have a meeting soon
to discuss routes and work going forward. Look out for updates on this
soon!

Also - I am on holiday next week - just for one week! So if you send an
email to the list and thereıs a delay in response you know why!


Ok, thatıs it for this week! If you have any questions / comments let me
know! Thanks all!


Natasha


Natasha Rooney | Web Technologist | GSMA | nrooney@gsma.com | +44 (0) 7730
219 765 | @thisNatasha | Skype: nrooney@gsm.org

Tokyo, Japan







From:  Natasha Rooney <nrooney@gsma.com>
Date:  Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at 15:39
To:  Natasha Rooney <nrooney@gsma.com>, W3C Webmob Public
<public-web-mobile@w3.org>
Subject:  Re: Webmob Wednesday Weekly Wupdate




From:  Natasha Rooney <nrooney@gsma.com>
Date:  Tuesday, November 4, 2014 at 23:54
To:  W3C Webmob Public <public-web-mobile@w3.org>
Subject:  Webmob Wednesday Weekly Wupdate
Resent-From:  W3C Webmob Public <public-web-mobile@w3.org>
Resent-Date:  Tuesday, November 4, 2014 at 23:55


Hi all!

I want to start sending some updates on the groupıs work and some issues
to the list on a weekly basis. Given our obsession with the letter ŒWı I
have chosen to send these updates on a Wednesday! If you
 have any suggestions on new items to add or changes to be made please let
me know!

***** W3C Updates *****
TPAC was last week - I hope all of you who attended had a great event.
Here were some of the highlights for Webmob:

* Geolocation - Marcos and I (mainly Marcos) presented at the Geolocation
WG on the permissions topic. Marcos showed a possible route for
permissions management for geolocation, and we will work with the
 guys from the Geolocation team on perfecting this process. More below.
* Web Apps - Web apps had a few relevant topics to us in their agenda,
mainly Push and Service Workers - these were mainly granular topics in how
browsers handle push, workers and optimisation. Minutes are
 here [http://www.w3.org/2014/10/27-webapps-minutes.html#item23].
* Crypto WG - the Crypto WG met on Thursday last week to go through some
final edits of their API and to look at the next items they want to work
on to be part of their next charter. Some relevant items
 will hopefully be added to their charter which would be of interest to us
including hardware tokens or authentication using devices. Letıs keep an
eye on that to see if we can help!
* WebAppSec - similarly webappsec is discussing the items for itıs new
charter, and a number of identity-related topics including credential
management (https://mikewest.github.io/credentialmanagement/spec/).
 This group will also keep working on CSP and SRI.
* Breakouts - ³What do you want from your mobile carrier² breakout went
well - we were aiming for a set of use cases from the developer community
of which we could start to investigate but found that the
 main use case was the need for data to allow browsers and developers to
make decisions about content types, what to send over the network or to
identify apps which are taking up too much bandwidth (amongst other use
cases). Weıll be pulling these use cases
 together and working on adding them to the Data Info API which was sent
to the list earlier this month.

If you have other highlights please let the list know (these are only the
ones which I could make it to!).

***** Meetings *****
Our next meeting is on Wednesday 12th November! Weıll be talking about
permissions, sharing, and some new topics we discovered at TPAC. If you
have a suggestion for an agenda item, please let us know.

Time: 2pm UTC
Dial: +1-617-761-6200 or sip:zakim@voip.w3.org then conference code 932662
("WEBMOB")



***** Projects *****
Here is a quick update of our projects and some projects relevant to the
group.

* Permissions - weıve been discussing the issues of permissions for a long
time now. Itıs a big area and can have a lot of repercussions. We have
decided to tackle this one by one, starting with Geolocation.
 The work Marcos did for TPAc showed one solutions for Geolocation - this
was a UI solution similar to the method iOS uses. Weıll work with the Geo
guys to investigate the right solution (it could be this one or another)
over the next few months.
* Sharing - Weıre still looking into Sharing URLs, and as you all know we
often try to break problems down into smaller problems which helps solving
them become easier and more manageable. Weıre now focusing
 on Sharing Œmapsı URLs. Sharing maps URLs is a key use case and done in a
few different ways currently depending on the browser and the operating
system. We will begin work on documenting this soon
* Web API Gap & Mobile Web App Standards - Dom is still doing great work
maintaining these pieces of work which are a great help to the group and
the community! If you want to help him out on this let us
 know. Repos are linked
[https://github.com/w3c-webmob/mobile-web-app-standards] and
[https://github.com/w3c-webmob/web-api-gap].
* Data Info API - Weıve started to look at working on the Data Info API
with Google and Mozilla! This API will aim to deliver simple information
about a userıs data plan back to the user over a secure connection.
 I understand from the breakout at TPAC that there may be some legal
issues with this in the US, I am currently investigating these! In any
case we are pushing on, and some operators and I are working on a demo. I
have also requested support from GSMA in the
 operator technology side of this. More news soon!
* Service Worker - We are still working on Service Worker demos! I need to
put together a hackathon here in Japan for that, and get working on the
demos we put together. We are still reliant on a cache implementation,
 which I believe still hasnıt happened, but there is a polyfil we can use
in the mean time.

***** New Work Coming Up *****
Do you have any new ideas for work for the group? Let us know! Here are
some suggestions for resources for new work:

* Relevant Work in WGs - some working groups will have work and specs
which will obviously need our help. I have listed some in the sections
above, maybe you know of more?
* Web API Gap - As said above Dom looks after the Web API Gap repo
[https://github.com/w3c-webmob/web-api-gap]. Given we have this list of
API gaps,
 does anyone feel like they want to work on one of these APIs and document
the use cases and requirements for an API on the web? Let us know if this
is the case!

Ok, thatıs it for this week! Next week will be shorter, as I will be
travelling and it wonıt be so necessary to dump 6 months of information in
one email like this one! If you have more relevant information
 post it to the list. Thanks all!


Natasha Rooney | Web Technologist | GSMA | nrooney@gsma.com | +44 (0) 7730
219 765 | @thisNatasha | Skype: nrooney@gsm.org

Tokyo, Japan






This
 email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may
be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action
based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to
this email or call +44 207 356 0600
 and highlight the error.

This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email or call +44 207 356 0600 and highlight the error.
Received on Thursday, 13 November 2014 08:00:00 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 19:59:30 UTC