AW: Telcos@W3C breakout at TPAC

Hi Dom et al,

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Dominique Hazael-Massieux [mailto:dom@w3.org]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 06. November 2014 16:30
An: public-web-mobile@w3.org
Betreff: Telcos@W3C breakout at TPAC

Hi,

Among the breakouts that were organized last week during TPAC, I organized one around the role of operators in W3C and for the Web.

I've finished cleaning up the minutes (thanks François for scribing!):
http://www.w3.org/2014/10/29-telcos-minutes.html

Some of the important messages I noted during the discussion:
* operators are already important players in W3C and to become more so and get recognized as such

* there are quite a number of technologies that W3C very relevant to operators business, incl. WebRTC, Web payments, Push, WoT, etc

* W3C is one of the place where operators can embrace the de facto merge between the IT and telco industries

* browsers and Web apps would benefit from better coordination with network management to optimize both performance and network usage

Toward the end of the breakout, I polled the room to get a feeling on whether a "Telecommunications IG" in W3C would make sense; there was some push back that this would in fact entrench telcos as separate species.

I'm interested in further feedback on where best we can continue the discussion — a task force of this very Mobile IG was another option that was discussed.

Another idea that came to my mind after the breakout (when we discussed a bit further the network management questions that were raised) was to have maybe a "Network IG" rather than a more specific "Telco" IG, where we could discuss how and when Web APIs need to dive into the deeper layers of the networking stack; I also welcome feedback on that idea.
 [Gludovacz, Dieter] Another idea behind the "push back" was to not create yet another IG but handle telco related issues within an already existing very telco specific IG, e.g. the Mobile IG. I need to get used to W3C's way of organizing work, i.e. if the majority feels we need another group for it, it would be fine for me.

Thanks a lot to all who contributed to the discussions, and in particular to Mohammaed, Claudio, Bryan, Dan and Jay for their presentations.

Dom

[Gludovacz, Dieter] Thank you,

Dieter

Notice: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately, destroy all
copies from your system and do not disclose or use the information for any purpose.
Diese E-Mail inklusive aller Anhaenge ist vertraulich und koennte bevorrechtigtem
Schutz unterliegen. Wenn Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Adressat sind, informieren Sie
bitte den Absender unverzueglich, loeschen Sie alle Kopien von Ihrem System und
veroeffentlichen Sie oder nutzen Sie die Information keinesfalls, gleich zu welchem Zweck.

Think before you print!

T-Mobile Austria GmbH
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dr. Andreas Bierwirth (Vorsitzender), Aufsichtsrat: Branca Skaramuca (Vorsitzende)
Firmenbuch: Handelsgericht Wien, Sitz Wien, FN 171112k, UID ATU 45011703, DVR 0898295
Konto: UniCredit Bank Austria AG IBAN: AT93 1200 0528 4407 2301, BIC: BKAUATWW

T-Mobile – Das verbindet uns.