Re: new device APIs?

On July 3, 2014 at 8:24:09 AM, Ilya Bogdanovich (bogdanovichiy@yandex-team.ru) wrote:
> Hi Dom, all,
>
> What do you think about API for headphones plug in/out notification?
> That may be very helpful for online music/video players - the API could help with automatic
> sound muting when phones plugged out, and turning it on when phones plugged in back, for
> example.

I agree. This would be a great addition to the platform. We should add this to the DAP charter, btw!

> The API seems to be rather simple, e.g. addEventListener(“headphones”, handler) and
> should be easy to implement. We at Yandex are interested in implementing it and making
> a web standard.

We should hold on discussing the design of the API until we explore the use cases a bit more. For instance, we need to consider that the sound is being re-routed from one output channel to another (headphone -> internal-speaker -> USB speaker -> HDMI, etc.)... that may or may not have any influence on the API design, just things we need to consider.

--
Marcos Caceres