RE: Identity work? (OPEN)

(Frode wrote)

-----Original Message-----
From: frode.kileng@telenor.com [mailto:frode.kileng@telenor.com]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2014 1:48 AM
To: public-web-mobile@w3.org
Subject: RE: Identity work? (OPEN)

Hi.

I think this is a great idea, not at least as we was involved in one of the recent conversations around this.

Since this group has the "mobile" in the name, I guess this must be the basis for any work on this within this group. However, IMHO, there's a need to look into this within W3C from a generic perspective, with an identity framework for the open web platform in general, supporting "any" underlying identity service or identity bindings, including the mobile specifics ones as the binding to the SIM. (Although Telenor is mainly a mobile operator, our initial interest in this is unrelated to SIM).

<bryan> I agree that identity as an enabler has wide applicability to the web experience. Re "mobile" this and that, W3C for years has been struggling to come to terms with the reality that much (if not almost all, in some areas) web experience today is inherently mobile - is the "mobile web" now the "one web"? No - not yet. But for WebMob the value in this focus topic is that the mobile is a key enabler of user identity today, but most of that is disconnected from the web experience, or at best difficult as a web user experience.

For this group to look into mobile specific use cases is a first step. But how to we proceed to make sure generic use-cases are addressed, incl. WebRTC?

<bryan> As a first step, it's similar to how the TPWG is addressing a real/important use case for privacy, and how that *might* expand for broader applicability in web apps (e.g. as I have proposed also for a topic here). I'm sure as part of the discussion in WebMob we would touch on important use cases e.g. WebRTC, Tracking Protection, Web Payments, etc. And I'm also sure the TAG and the rest of W3C will be watching/participating.

Best regards
Frode.Kileng@telenor.com