Re: [permissions] Analysis of permissions handling and TAG presentation

On Thursday, January 9, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In our previous discussions, permission management was one of the the
> topics that were raised as potential blockers for the proper development
> of the Web as a platform on mobile device.
>
> During our Shenzhen F2F, I took an action item (ACTION-93) to re-raise
> this topic to the W3C Technical Architecture Group (TAG).
>
> I was kindly invited to their F2F meeting yesterday to discuss this
> topic; in the process, I updated the presentation I had prepared on the
> topic two years ago (and which presented in Shenzhen):
> http://www.w3.org/2014/Talks/dhm-tag-permissions/
>
> The major new piece in the presentation is some research I quickly
> conducted in preparation for the meeting: I looked at all the features I
> knew of that require user consent and that I could run on my laptop,
> created example codes that triggered these user consent requests, ran
> them on Firefox and Chrome, captured screenshots of the resulting UI,
> and documented the various themes that emerged.
>
> The result of that work is visible in:
> https://github.com/dontcallmedom/web-permissions-req/
>
> In particular:
> * I built a table that summarizes the various approaches taken across
> APIs/features:
> http://dontcallmedom.github.io/web-permissions-req/matrix.html
>
> * the screenshots are at
> https://github.com/dontcallmedom/web-permissions-req/screenshots/

This one works:
https://github.com/dontcallmedom/web-permissions-req/tree/gh-pages/screenshots

> I already have some ideas as to what could be usefully done:
> * as highlighted in the repo
> https://github.com/dontcallmedom/web-permissions-req/#todo collecting
> more screenshots of more permissions from more browsers on more devices

The research that David Rogers pointed us to seems extremely relevant (glad to see the articles in the Wiki already!). It might be good to reach out to Adrienne Porter Felt for guidance or for more links to research papers on the subject. I'd be really interested if we could identify what are considered "good" models for this to contrast the Web against.

> * start collecting relevant research papers on permission management;
> this was already started in
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Mobile/articles#API_Permissions but I feel there
> must be a lot more available out there — if anyone has contacts in the
> HCI academic world, this would be a great thing to ask e.g. a student to
> build

Great to see this list. Got a lot of reading to do :)