Re: [W3C Webmob] Profiles?

On 23/01/2014 03:17, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L wrote:
> If we avoid problematic words but arrive at the same destination I am
> happy. I am not a fan of arbitrary lists or vocabulary prohibitions,
> and do not recommend that W3C engage in either. But reasoned focus on
> priorities given real-world use cases, yes. Whatever you accept to
> call that, I'm ok with it.

Just wondering about the underlying assumption though. It seems the idea
is that as an app developer, I'll look at the technologies listed as
supported in a "profile" to decide what my app should use. But isn't it
the other way around? I build my web app with technologies that I need,
and that informs what my app's required "profile" is. Then only
browsers/devices that support those (through feature-detection) will be
able to use it. Though admittedly, devs will also look at sites like
caniuse.com to determine which technologies are considered "safe"...so
perhaps it's more from this angle that we should strive to tackle it?

Patrick H. Lauke