Re: [permissions] Analysis of permissions handling and TAG presentation

Dom (and everyone),

This is amazing news! Thank-you so much for your handwork Dom! The ³all²
test is my favourite (perhaps for the wrong reasons). I have updated the
³Work² page of our wiki with the link to this fantastic email and the link
to your github repo
(http://www.w3.org/wiki/Mobile/Work#TASK_FORCE:_Permissions).

EVERYONE: Dom has got this work off to a great start and identified some
Œto-doı topics to move forward. What we need now is to get working on
these:
* Please take the time to read through Domıs email and in particular pay
attention to the two bullets at the end.
* Please then volunteer to join the Permissions Task Force by adding
yourself to the Wiki page
(http://www.w3.org/wiki/Mobile/Work#TASK_FORCE:_Permissions)
* Most importantly go ahead and fork Domıs repo and start adding some of
the content he has requested!
* Discuss important topics on the mailing list as normal.

If you are unsure about any of these steps please feel free to email me,
or ask myself for Marcos on IRC, weıre always happy to help!

Many thanks!

Natasha Rooney | Web Technologist | GSMA | nrooney@gsma.com | +44 (0) 7730
219 765 | @thisNatasha | Skype: nrooney@gsm.org
7th Floor, 5 New Street Square, London EC4A 3BF

On 09/01/2014 09:53, "Dominique Hazael-Massieux" <dom@w3.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>In our previous discussions, permission management was one of the the
>topics that were raised as potential blockers for the proper development
>of the Web as a platform on mobile device.
>
>During our Shenzhen F2F, I took an action item  (ACTION-93) to re-raise
>this topic to the W3C Technical Architecture Group (TAG).
>
>I was kindly invited to their F2F meeting yesterday to discuss this
>topic; in the process, I updated the presentation I had prepared on the
>topic two years ago (and which presented in Shenzhen):
>http://www.w3.org/2014/Talks/dhm-tag-permissions/
>
>The major new piece in the presentation is some research I quickly
>conducted in preparation for the meeting: I looked at all the features I
>knew of that require user consent and that I could run on my laptop,
>created example codes that triggered these user consent requests, ran
>them on Firefox and Chrome, captured screenshots of the resulting UI,
>and documented the various themes that emerged.
>
>The result of that work is visible in:
>https://github.com/dontcallmedom/web-permissions-req/
>
>In particular:
>* I built a table that summarizes the various approaches taken across
>APIs/features:
>http://dontcallmedom.github.io/web-permissions-req/matrix.html
>
>* the screenshots are at
>https://github.com/dontcallmedom/web-permissions-req/screenshots/
>
>* the code snippets are at:
>https://github.com/dontcallmedom/web-permissions-req/tests/
>and can be run from
>http://dontcallmedom.github.io/dontcallmedom/web-permissions-req/tests/...
>A particular fun one is
>http://dontcallmedom.github.io/web-permissions-req/tests/all.html which
>run all the permission requests at once, with the following result in
>Chrome:
>http://dontcallmedom.github.io/web-permissions-req/screenshots/all-chromiu
>m.png
>
>I presented the result of that work to the TAG and they were quite
>receptive to the need of stronger coordination in this space.
>
>In particular, Alex Russell took an action item to see which best
>practices could be extracted from the various approaches, and to try and
>identify targets for more convergence across APIs:
>https://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/users/43338
>
>Dan Appelquist took an action item to ask WG Chairs about which of their
>APIs require user consent:
>https://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/850
>
>I indicated that our group was willing to help in progressing this topic
>further.
>
>I already have some ideas as to what could be usefully done:
>* as highlighted in the repo
>https://github.com/dontcallmedom/web-permissions-req/#todo collecting
>more screenshots of more permissions from more browsers on more devices
>
>* start collecting relevant research papers on permission management;
>this was already started in
> [...]

This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email or call +44 207 356 0600 and highlight the error.