Re: RfC: LCWD of Vibration API; deadline March 4

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Terence Eden wrote:
>
> > I'd be interested in two things.
> > 1) Getting the max length of patterns and vibration times from a device.
> There seems to be no way to do this at present.

Can you explain a bit more what you would do with that?

The maximum length and duration of a vibration pattern are defined to be
implementation specific.  In Chrome we adhere to a maximum length of 99
entries, and a maximum total duration of 10 seconds.  Firefox has a
configurable maximum length, defaulting to 128 entries, and a maximum
duration of 10 seconds, which is configurable as well.

One completely unimportant use case I can imagine is using a device's
vibrator to "play a song".  Remember those awesome buzz-tones from the late
90s? :-).

> 2) Future proposals to indicate the *intensity* of vibration.
>
> Intensity control would be nice.

Which platforms would support setting the vibration's intensity?  The
Android APIs do not, and vibrations on iOS are initiated through their
audio system, which don't support intensity either.  This can easily be
worked around by the developer by vibrating [25, 10, 25, 10, 25] instead of
[95].

Peter