Re: [W3C Webmob] PhoneGap Plugins

*Hey Natasha,*

>  Hey Leandro!
>
>  Thanks so much for this! We are currently in a process of rechartering
> but there is definitely some areas in which we could use your expertise!

*Thank you, too.*

> Firstly, the Web API Gap project [1] looks at comparing features across
> various mobile platforms (including Cordova) and compares these to the
> situations on the web. Given your experience with Cordova you should have
> some great input here! Please ask myself or Dom to go through this more if
> you want more info – or, if it’s self explanatory please feel free to send
> pull requests to the repo!

*I really appreciate if you kindly send me some starting points to explore
in this context. It seems to be interest to start contributing to the
group. *

>  Also, as I said we are rechartering! You will see we have a dedicated
> Task Force for API Gap which will begin in January 2015. The charter is
> here [2]. If you wouldn’t wind could you read this and let us know your
> thoughts? Is there other things we should add from the hybrid apps world?
> Are there some things here you would like to work more on? Let us know and
> many thanks for the enthusiasm!

*I understood the basic mission for the charter. Is there any strategy/plan
on how to keep tracking/monitoring of the new apis that become available in
each well-know platforms (e.g. ios, android, blackberry, wp, tizen,
firefox-os, ubuntu-mobile)? this seems to be a very time-consuming task and
it is necessary to define a plan here. **This seems to be a great effort
and one simple suggestion is to build an online tool where the developers
can point out feature requests and at least describe the basics for a
desired API that they want to see in the web platform. Surely, we can think
about other strategies for this, such as define a set of researchers
interested in contribute in this field and make each of them responsible
for each known platform and them try to officially (via W3C) communicate
with the stakeholders of the respective company to try to make the task of
monitoring the APIs (new and changes in the existing ones) easier. I don't
know if this is still in the scope of the charter and if what I'm talking
about makes sense for you.*

*For now, I'm interested in all mobile platform and try to enable basic
functions via cordova plugin that are  not support in some platform. This
is allowing me to understand that as an isolate effort it is very difficult
to find points of contributions that it will provide a good impact in the
community. For example, we start to research important plugins available in
cordova that are not supported BlackBerry 10 yet and this is not a simple
task. Anyway, as far as I'm understand the scope for the charter, we want
to find interesting APIs where we can recommend to become part of the
(mobile) web platform, am I correct?*

*Leandro.*

>  [1] https://github.com/w3c-webmob/web-api-gap
> [2] https://github.com/w3c-webmob/api-gap-tf-charter
>
>  Natasha
>
>    Natasha Rooney | Web Technologist | GSMA | nrooney@gsma.com | +44 (0)
> 7730 219 765 | @thisNatasha | Skype: nrooney@gsm.org
>
> Tokyo, Japan
>

>   From: "leandro@ic.ufal.br" <leandro@ic.ufal.br>
> Date: Thursday, December 18, 2014 at 11:48
> To: Natasha Rooney <nrooney@gsma.com>, W3C Webmob Public <
> public-web-mobile@w3.org>
> Subject: Re: [W3C Webmob] PhoneGap Plugins
>
>   Hi,
>
>       I'm new in the group and interest to contribute. I have a
> particular interest in plugin development for Cordova/Phonegap, with
> hands-on experience. Can I be useful in this context? Anything that I can
> help?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Leandro.
>
>  Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

[]s,
Leandro.

--
DSc. Leandro Melo de Sales
Institute of Computing (IC) at Federal University of Alagoas (UFAL), Brazil

"The warrior is strong in loyalty, intensity, determination, initiative,
persistence, courage and willpower. The warrior is light in the soul,
self-trust and compassion. The warrior is often called to take the front
when other cowardly make a step backwards. There are warriors on the
battlefields and in everyday life."