Re: Mobile, Web and Multi-device

Hi all – one more opinion to add to the pile:  I think what we are talking about when we talk about the "mobile web" and especially "mobile web applications" is increasingly web applications that execute on "devices" - distinct from "computers" in that they are usually constrained in some way or serve a more limited purpose (appliance-like) than a general-purpose computing device. Mobile devices and tablets are good examples of these. Televisions and set-top boxes are others though definitely not mobile.

When we talk about the purpose of this group being "to accelerate the development of Web technology so that it becomes a compelling platform for mobile applications and the obvious choice for cross platform development," what is the context? Compelling compared to what? Obviously, we are talking about the rise of native apps and app stores, which have become the de facto way to build and deliver applications and services on these types of devices. This is the context we are working in. What I am saying is that we should not get into an academic debate about the meaning of mobile or mobility. Rather, we need to ground the work of this group in the context of this clear and present danger to the Web.

Dan

From: Jose Manrique Lopez de la Fuente <jsmanrique@gmail.com<mailto:jsmanrique@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2013 15:34
To: "public-web-mobile@w3.org<mailto:public-web-mobile@w3.org>" <public-web-mobile@w3.org<mailto:public-web-mobile@w3.org>>
Cc: Web and Mobile IG <public-web-mobile@w3.org<mailto:public-web-mobile@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Mobile, Web and Multi-device

I really like your last sentence...
" It's just about doing regular life stuff on a range of different devices, but with the Web as the platform"

+1

El 18/09/2013 16:14, "Marcos Caceres" <w3c@marcosc.com<mailto:w3c@marcosc.com>> escribió:
On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> On 18/09/2013 11:53, Jorge Rumoroso wrote:
>
> > "Mobile web" is the web that it is created (or adapted) to be used as
> > soon as the user need it, in multiple context and multiple devices (with
> > or without any capability and with some enviromental handicaps), not
> > when the user is in an specific situation of place and device.
>

> So it's the *content* and services that are mobile, rather than the
> devices. I like that redefinition.

Agree. This has little specifically to do with phones, tablets, etc. It's just about doing regular life stuff on a range of different devices, but with the Web as the platform.

--
Marcos Caceres