UX gap, was Re: How can HTML5 compete with Native?

On Monday, October 21, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Tobie Langel wrote:

> There's lots of small things and also higher level components which make prototyping a breeze.
>
> iOS: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/userexperience/conceptual/mobilehig/Bars.html

Ok, I see a few things but nothing mind blowing that isn’t covered by something like Topcoat or Bootstrap (or what am I missing here?)… I guess having better flexbox and grid layout support would be helpful - but the UI components seem to be covered by HTML.

> Android: http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/index.html

I’m not sure how we are going to compete with the following? :P

<LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
android:layout_width="fill_parent"
android:layout_height="fill_parent"
android:orientation="vertical" >
<TextView android:id="@+id/text"
android:layout_width="wrap_content"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
android:text="Hello, I am a TextView" />
<Button android:id="@+id/button"
android:layout_width="wrap_content"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
android:text="Hello, I am a Button" />
</LinearLayout>

But seriously, is it just the ability to do the drag and drop application design in some IDE that you are referring to?

--
Marcos Caceres