Re: How can HTML5 compete with Native?

On 22/10/2013 10:10, Dimitris Michalakos wrote:
> Panagiotis Astithas from Mozilla Dev tools suggested creating a Debug
> API. I think this is similar to what you say. If such a thing existed
> then third party vendors could hook their tools to browsers and
> competition would drive innovation.

The problem with that is the pervasive "not invented here" attitude I
found amongst browser vendors. Opera Dragonfly was the first to offer
remote debugging and proposed a unified protocol for debugging
http://my.opera.com/dragonfly/blog/scope-protocol-specification ...
sadly, other browsers showed very little interest and instead went their
own separate ways to build something similar but different.

A lot of movement is happening on the Chrome/DevTools side of things,
though. Just the other day I came across
https://developers.google.com/chrome-developer-tools/docs/debugging-clients
showing different tools/IDEs/text editors integrating with DevTools (via
https://twitter.com/ChromiumDev/status/392356326208069632).

I'm guessing that, at least theoretically, the same could be done for
Mozilla's debugging approach (which I seem to remember is fairly
similar, in approach/structure, to what Chrome offers).

On a more general note...maybe I'm just splitting semantic hairs here
(and I'm known to do that), but perhaps the discussion should be
reframed slightly. "How can HTML5 compete with Native?" is a loaded
question, implying that Native has an advantage, that HTML5 needs to
necessarily compete with Native, and that HTML5 needs to catch up with
Native. Now, for some aspects, this may well be true...however, framing
it this way could end up being quite limiting. Instead a more "What
aspects of Native app platforms/development would be beneficial for the
HTML5 platform/development workflow" seems a less loaded approach (or
maybe I'm just a hippy).

Patrick H. Lauke