Re: How can HTML5 compete with Native?

[Removing Carlos and Miguel from the distribution.]

On 18/10/2013 15:18, "Marcos Caceres" <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

>On Friday, October 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Dimitris Michalakos wrote:
>
>> Hi Tobie,
>>
>> Let's define WiFi and Power Management, in the context of our research.
>>
>> WiFi means "Get a list of available WiFi connections. Setup a new
>>connection. Connect to specific WiFi network". Results show it's mostly
>>used to:
>> view Wi-Fi connections
>> connect and disconnect from WiFi
>> change network connectivity
>
>This seems very "OS-level". For example, in iOS you have to go to
>settings to enable this. I think it's the same with Android?
>
>What kinds of apps are people trying to build with this (or have been
>built with this in other platforms)?

I'll give you a very concrete example:  I have an account with BT Wifi
that lets me use any BT wifi hotspot.  On Android, devices there is a BT
wifi app that can scan available wifi SSIDs and automatically connect you
without having to go through the "captive portal" nonsense.  (IOS also has
an app but because IOS does not enable these APIs for developers all it
can do is automatically log you in once you are already associated with
the wifi network.)  In a "Web-based OS" device, it would be very useful to
be able to do this stuff.

Dan