Re: Web/Native: gap analysis

I spent some quality time reading these documents this morning and think that fellow WebMobsters will find the time as rewarding as I did.

While I let my thoughts brew further, some immediate reactions:

- Focus on the user is something very much to be welcomed. Identifying and distinguishing direct users of the technology - in the form of people who wish to build products and services - and indirect users - the targets of the first set is extremely important. I wonder if we should explicitly call out a third constituency, which is manufacturers and browser vendors. As the key enablers, identifying their concerns would be useful, in my view.

- It's probably worth noting that some of the concerns are in tension with each other. I'm particularly thinking of a reasonable desire to integrate more closely with the look and feel of a particular target delivery context (device) which would appear to be in tension with an equally sensible desire to provide a continuous, easy to navigate experience of the same product or service across platforms from different providers.

- Needless to say, perhaps, I think that some aspects can be called out with more emphasis. Here I'm particularly thinking of best practice concerns relating to product development, especially reaching minimum viable product (MVP) and measuring use and iterating the product in a continuous feedback cycle. The Web has plenty of advantages here, and is particularly suitable for those who can go as far as doing A/B comparisons.

- I wonder if we can emphasise areas in which the Web could have a distinct advantage. Resumption from the point the user last left off (resumption of task context) is noted as something that Web apps are possibly lacking. Transfer of the task context between delivery contexts is an area that the Web could explore as being something that is a unique and important value.

- Also, needless to say, I guess, one can argue the exact conclusions under some headings. For example, I'm not clear that there are lots of effective Web development IDEs. To say that an IDE is effective, I think a clearer framework for evaluating the features offered against some kind of idea of what Web development current best practice consists of. It's my impression that there's a substantial body of Web developers who eschew IDEs in favour of top end text editors (Sublime Text, for example). From a designer rather than a developer perspective (ignoring for a moment any questions about the changing distinction between these roles) I'm not aware of a wide variety of tools in this area. In any case, tooling is a very important area. I'd go as far as to say that the underlying standards would ideally be developed with tooling in mind ...

Excellent job Dom, hard to do!

Jo