Re: inline declarative manifest, was Re: New manifest spec - ready for FPWD?

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013, at 6:06, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2013 6:20 AM, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi> wrote:
> > > "a": 1,
> > > "b": "foopy"
> > > }'>
> >
> > Are manifests really short enough for this kind of thing?
>
> For single-page apps I would imagine it will be quite simple yes. Not
> quite
> as short as the above, but will reasonable to type.
>
> Additionally, since no extra escaping is done, you are not typing more
> than
> what you'd type into the external file anyway.

I do not think it is correct to assume that single page apps will have
shorter or simpler manifests. But as you said, this solution does not
have much overhead regarding typing or syntax.

However, using an inlined manifest comes with a cost: web crawlers or
app stores will no longer be able to fetch a simple file to know about
updates but will have to download the entire application.

-- Mounir