Re: Content of URL picked by Intent

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com> wrote:
> On 9/20/12 7:27 PM, "Greg Billock" <gbillock@google.com> wrote:
>
>>The discomfort I'm estimating as the most acute
>>is client developers wanting to get started. I'd like them to have as
>>few problems as possible using the API, and so I'd like to make their
>>path as clear as possible.
>
> That's actually easily mitigated by providing example code developers can
> copy. It also an issue during a relatively short period of time and is
> relevant to that particular API only. It's also very possible that the
> developers will be familiar with the pattern having seen it elsewhere.
>
> However, inconsistencies in the platform hurt the productivity of
> beginner, intermediate and seasoned developers alike. Not only does it
> hurt developers when they are using that particular API, but it also hurts
> them **every time they will use any other API where consistency with that
> particular API would have been expected.** In other words, coming up a
> custom solution here diminishes the quality of the platform as a whole.

I completely agree, and that's a major source of discomfort I'd dearly
like to avoid. :-) If we can document around early pitfalls and give
developers touching a lot of the platform a consistent experience,
that's definitely where the balance of intuition ends up lying. I
definitely think using arrays for multiple MIME values is the way to
go, and accords well with the rest of the platform. The question is
how to best indicate that. Always using them is a good approach that
will work fine.