Re: Joint protocols

Hi,

On 9/20/2012 6:17 AM, Greg Billock wrote:
> I support Ian Hickson's proposal that web intents,
> registerProtocolHandler, and registerContentHandler be considered all
> part of the same feature. That kind of thing is being discussed on the
> WhatWG list.
Ok, thank you. I must have missed his support.
> registerProtocolHandler allows application code to handle a request,
> but it handles the full url. It won't, say, chop some parameters off
> of the url and do something else with them.
>
> Letting the user apply custom styling seems like a UA feature.
The example is not for the user to apply styling which would be a UA
feature, but for links to be crafted to prompt this styling. So, if, for
example, I want to enhance the styling of some quotation, or do custom
highlighting (while ever-pointing to an authoritative, yet source) as
well as XPointer-like behavior, mash-up transparently with other sources
of data, etc., this could all be available in the URL (ideally without
the targeted content site needing to have its own handlers for the
styling aspects).

I see other advantages of splitting responsibility, e.g., to claim
support of part of a protocol to allow control to go back to finding
other protocol handlers if one is only supporting a protocol partially.

Thanks,
Brett