Re: CFC: Getting rid of 'extras'

+1

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia

On Aug 22, 2012, at 7:14 PM, ext James Hawkins wrote:

Sounds good to me.

Any other folks have opinions on the change?

James

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Greg Billock <gbillock@google.com<mailto:gbillock@google.com>> wrote:
Definitely. The big driver for extras was MIME types, so here's a MIME
type before:

type: image/png
data: blob = image contents
extras: { "url" : image url,
            "filename" : representative filename,
          }

and a proposal for a format with no extras:

type: image/png
data: { "blob" : blob image contents,
          "url" : url of image contents,
          "filename" : representative filename,
        }

Using a map as a recommended base type for data provides a lot of
flexibility. It provides an open namespace into which new optional
features can be placed to satisfy new use cases as usage evolves. A
goal will be to create a consistent vocabulary across types, so for
example "url" means "a url pointing to the content" for all MIME
types.