[webintents] FPWD Process [Was: Re: Nay vote, no Draft.]

On 5/29/12 4:46 PM, ext rektide wrote:
> Hi. I'm not sure whether I get a vote or not, I'm not a part of the w3, so I think not,

The Web Intents spec is a "joint deliverable" from the WebApps WG and
the DAP WG and that means both WGs are responsible for the spec's
progression along the W3C Recommendation track. From WebApps'
perspective, comments are welcome from anyone, at any time, regardless
of the state of a document.

> Section 1, sentance 1:

> Paragraph #3 of the introduction:

> I vote nay until
> a Web Intent service can be implemented to spec,

I deleted all of the technical comments to which the group will reply.
However, I do want to touch on the process related part of the comment
above ...

The W3C process has several phases (see [1] for a graphical summary and
[2] for the details). The Web Intents spec is in the earliest phase - a
First Public Working Draft (FPWD) has not yet been published. The main
significance of a FPWD is to announce the groups have started to work on
the spec and to request early feedback. There is *no* requirement nor
expectation the spec is complete nor implementable. Indeed, members of
the groups may Not agree on the contents of the FPWD (I believe James
made that sufficiently clear in the CfC for FPWD [3]).

Note that by the time the groups consider the spec as implementable (via
the publication of a Candidate Recommendation), the spec may be
substantially different than the FPWD.

I mention all of this because the technical comments you (or anyone
else) submitted are not in themselves sufficient to block the
publication of the FPWD.

I realize a lot of the W3C process is new to some people so if anyone
has any questions about the process, please let us know.

-Art Barstow (co-Chair of WebApps WG)

[1] http://www.w3.org/2010/Talks/0119-next-web-plh/w3c_track.xhtml
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#Reports
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-intents/2012May/0070.html