RE: Web Intents for local network services (DAP Action-510)

Comments inline.
- Cathy.

UPnP
> Service Description document in it's UPnP Device Description.  In order to
> clarify this we can add examples of Device Description and Service
> Description pages in the presentation.

You're correct. Only state variables are required. Adding those examples
would certainly clear things up.

> > 2. You mentioned in another message that you want to add things like
> > Action and Type in the ST header. That again is not something that a
> > vendor or an SDO other than UPnP Forum can do. The format and the
> > allowed values of the ST header are defined in the UPnP Device
> > Architecture [1] and is not designed to be vendor-extensible. If new
> > search criteria other than those defined in [1] are desired, such
request
> should be brought to UPnP Forum. In fact, that idea was discussed in UPnP
> Forum several years ago but that work was shelved at the time (that's
before
> my time so I can't say much about it). Maybe it's a good time to bring it
up
> again (Clarke?).
>
> Basically we assume that we can follow the UPnP specification. We will not
> change the format of an ST header. We just define a new serviceType as
> vendors do for extension. This is allowed according to 1.2.2 of UPnP DA.
An
> HTTP header extension is allowed because SSDP refers to RFC 2616 and RFC
> 2774 as defined in 1.3 of UDA1.0 as far as the syntax you pointed out in
the
> comment #3 is used.

Good.

> To make this proposal as the official spec, we do not want to bring UPnP
> forum!!!

(Not sure if I understand your comment, but not sure if it's critical to the
discussion either. Moving on...)

> > 3. The vendor-defined headers in the SSDP messages (pages 10 and 15)
> > are in the wrong format. For example, instead of X-WebIntents-action,
> > it should be action.webintents.org (header name followed by domain). See
> Section 1.1.3 in [1]. Also, there should not be a HOST header in the SSDP
> response.
>
> This is correct and we will fix it.
>

> > 4. Your proposal talks mostly about SSDP searches, and the
> > WebIntents-related headers in SSDP responses. But for completeness, it's
> necessary to add that such headers are also used in SSDP announcement
> messages sent by WebIntents-enabled UPnP devices.
> > This would allow clients (such as a UA's web intents manager) to keep
track
> of WebIntents-enabled UPnP devices that enter the network in the
> background.
>
> Yes, we will add a scenario showing Advertisment.
>

> > 5. In alternative 2, shouldn't intent.postResult() occur right after
> > the user selects the device, and before the client page begins sending
> > high-level commands (i.e. above the fat arrow on page 18)? My
> understanding is that getting the success callback (which is triggered by
> intent.postResult() on the service page) is the indication to the client
that the
> user has selected a target service to use.
>
> I am not sure that we should change this. Generally, the Service page
should
> issue the intent.postResult() when the Service has executed the Action of
> the intent. For simple RPC use cases such as picking an image the Service
is
> invoked by the startActivity call and when the user has selected the image
in
> the Service page image data is returned with intent.postResult()  to the
> Client application. This means that the relation between the Client and
the
> Service is terminated. For alternative 2 in our presentation we have a
longer
> lasting relation between the Client and the Service and my view is that
> issuing intent.postResult() means that this relation is terminated.

I could argue that the "discover" action has been executed once the target
service has been selected by the user and the service page has been loaded.
The subsequent exchanges between the client page and the service page is
beyond the context of Web Intents. In that sense, it would be better to wrap
up the intent by issuing postResult. But I can also see your approach
working, as long as the service page has some way of notifying the client
page that it is up and running (e.g. by sending an initial message over the
message port).

> This is also related to the concept of "hidden" Services. We are currently
> prototyping this and I will give more feedback when we have more practical
> experiences.
>
> > Regards, Cathy.
>

> > [1] http://upnp.org/specs/arch/UPnP-arch-DeviceArchitecture-v1.1.pdf

Disposition)