Re: Web Intents based APIs

On Jun 20, 2012, at 19:43 , James Hawkins wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> wrote:
>> How amenable would people here be to using http://w3.org/type/* and http://w3.org/action/* for common, W3C-standardised types and actions (they're even shorter than http://webintents.org/ :)? If you all like those, I can't promise that W3C will allocate those (they can be a bit *cough* annoying with URI minting) but I can promise that I will mount a campaign of W3C management pestering to obtain them that will make Céline Dion karaoke a relief in contrast.
>
> I'm not sure we have a need for w3.org/type since we use MIME-types or string literals (which presumably *could* be URLs, e.g. schema.org/ImageObject).  So far we haven't defined any types as coming from Web Intents.

Right, but we'll probably be creating some. My current thinking for the Contacts Intent has a URI type (because there's no media type that really makes me happy. But that's a convention we can think of separately.

> I wouldn't cry if we did s/webintents.org/w3.org\/action/, but w3.org/action is only shorter by one char!  More to the point I feel like we have a bit of momentum built up around webintents.org.  I understand your concern about ownership/trust, and we (Paul, since he owns webintents.org) would be more than happy to transfer ownership, rights, hosting and what-have-you to W3C.  Would that cover the persistence issue?

I can't say that I have any manner or form of strong opinion on the exact string. It would certainly take care of my concerns — as to the concerns I expect W3C would have we'll have to find out.

If everyone's happy with keeping webintents.org but transferring it to W3C ownership, I can take the action to ask the Team how they'd want to handle it.